Exercising regularly, eating a balanced diet, drinking enough water – all these things benefit your health and well-being. Spending time with family and friends and doing the things you love can keep you feeling good, too. But, did you know that your smile can play a part in your health and wellness, too? It’s true, your smile can play an important role in your overall health and affect your self-esteem. At Dr. Maria Yazji Orthodontics, we help our patients in South Florida get their best smiles. Let’s take a look at 8 benefits of a straight smile:
- A straight smile looks good to others. Most people, when asked to rate the attractiveness of someone with straight teeth and someone with crooked teeth, will rate the person with a straight smile as more attractive, and assume they are more intelligent and successful too. That’s why people who are in the public eye fix their teeth, and anyone who wants to look their best may consider straightening their teeth with orthodontic treatment.
- Straight teeth may be healthier than crowded teeth since crowded teeth exert unnecessary pressure on surrounding teeth, which can lead to tooth damage and even tooth loss. Straight teeth sit in perfect alignment in the mouth. Think of it this way – when you’re on a crowded bus, crammed next to the people around you, you’re a lot less comfortable than you are when you have enough space. Your teeth feel the same way!
- Straight teeth are easier to keep clean. Even if you brush three times a day and floss every night, if your teeth are crowded and crooked, there are surface areas on those teeth that are going to be harder to keep clean. Straight teeth, however, aren’t obstructed and can be cleaned across their entire surface.
- Chew as nature intended with straight teeth. For many of the foods you may be eating, the process of digestion begins in the mouth. Your teeth are made to be able to chew food, and chewing food thoroughly is important for your health. But some people with misaligned bites and crooked teeth find chewing to be uncomfortable. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, straightening your teeth through orthodontic treatment can lead to the “better function” of your teeth, including chewing.
- No more headaches if your headaches are caused by a misaligned bite. An overbite, underbite, crossbite, or other common bite issue means your teeth aren’t lining up as they should. This can cause tension on surrounding muscles in your face, neck, and jaw, leading to facial pain and headaches. If your headaches are due to your bite, aligning your teeth with Invisalign® treatment or another treatment option at the offices of Dr. Maria Yazji Orthodontics may help you solve the problem.
- No more TMJ pain if, like your headaches, your temporomandibular joint condition is caused or exacerbated by a bite issue or misaligned teeth. This painful, uncomfortable issue may be relieved once your bite is corrected and you can chew without jaw trouble.
7. Better selfies, school pictures, and family photos can be taken with a new and improved smile. Feeling good about your straight smile can give you the confidence you need to smile wide in photos and let you have keepsakes you’ll love to look back at. Orthodontic treatment in Miami and South Florida from Dr. Maria Yazji Orthodontics can help you get a straight smile that’s photo-ready.
- Increased self-esteem is commonly reported among people who straighten their smiles through orthodontic treatment. When you’re no longer embarrassed to show off your smile, and you like the way your smile looks, your self-esteem can grow. The American Association of Orthodontics also notes the positive effect that a straight smile can have on self-esteem.
If you need one or all of these benefits of a straight smile in your life, let us at the offices of Dr. Maria Yazji Orthodontics help you! Contact us today for a consultation with Dr. Yazji at our Miami, Brickell, or Weston office. See how straight teeth and a better smile from Dr. Maria Yazji Orthodontics can benefit you.