Your Child and Their Healthy Smile!
How do we help children build a healthy smile? Children take their smiles for granted and for many, teeth brushing is a chore that parents and guardians force on them. Still, we know, as guardians of their health, that good dental hygiene in childhood means that they can have healthy teeth and gums when they become adults. Neglecting dental health impacts more than just your child’s teeth and smile, it effects their entire well-being as well as your family.
There are some things we can do to help interest our children in taking care of their smile/dental health:
- Family Time. Make brushing and flossing a positive experience (Brush and Floss together)
- Excite and Ignite! Keep your child excited about their dental health.
- Up You Go! Chart their dental excellence.
- Stick with it! Give stickers for brushing and flossing
- Show and Tell. Show and tell your kids that dental health is important by brushing and flossing with them.
- My Orthodontist! Start taking care of their teeth early by starting a relationship with your orthodontist while they are young. Take them as early as 7 to make sure their teeth are forming correctly.
- Make sure they have regular check-ups. – make going to the dentist as important as going to the doctor.
- Keep a reminder in the bathroom. Stay vigilant and always ask if they’ve brushed.
- Give them a travel toothbrush. Make sure they know they should brush after every meal.
- Chart with them. Chart your own dental hygiene with them and have them give you stickers for brushing and flossing.
- Encourage your child to eat breakfast If your child has a nutritious breakfast, they are less likely to replace the meal with a sugary snack.
- Straw Power! Better for the teeth because it reduces sugar saturation.
- Reduce as much processed sugar as possible. Encourage them to eat and drink as much naturally sweet things as possible.
- Rewarded habits are repeated. Reward them for practising good dental hygiene.
Your child will grow up not only with a desire to have a healthy and beautiful smile, but also with healthy routines that carry them into adulthood.
At Dr. Maria Yazji Orthodontics, they support parents and guardian’s effort to help their children build healthy smiles. That is why they created a Smile Rewards program to recognize your child’s dental accomplishments and achievements during their treatment. This motivational program rewards your child for brushing and taking responsibility for their own dental health. They earn points for cool prizes for following the instructions concerning their treatment. They are even rewarded for being on time for their appointments!
If you ever have any questions about what you can do to help your child have a beautiful smile, please don’t ever hesitate to give them a call (954) 217 - 3737. They are there to help you! See what their patients are saying about them! Testimonials
Office Hours: Mon-Thurs 8am-6pm, Fri 9am-5pm, Sat by appointment and Ellos hablan español