October is National Dental Hygiene Month! Here are Three Steps to Healthier Smile
When you think of a healthy smile, what comes to mind? Pearly white teeth? A mouth that’s free of cavities? Straight teeth? There are several components to a healthy smile – your teeth should look and function well. If you have any of the common dental issues that keep many patients in Miami from having their best smile, such as bite issues, crooked and crowded teeth, and dental cavities, there are a few steps you can take to get a healthier smile.
- Practice good dental hygiene. In honor of National Dental Hygiene month, we at Dr. Maria Yazji Orthodontics would like to remind our patients and prospective patients of the importance of proper oral care. The first step to healthy teeth is keeping your teeth clean and free of plaque and tartar. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that you:
- Brush twice daily for two minutes at a time
- Use a fluoride toothpaste when you brush
- Floss or clean between your teeth once a day
Keeping your teeth clean can help prevent dental caries (cavities), gingivitis, and other bothersome tooth and gum problems.
- Visit your dentist regularly. Seeing your dentist in South Florida for regularly scheduled checkups is also part of preventing tooth decay and gum disease. Your dentist can monitor the health of your mouth, and treat your dental issues before they become bigger problems. If necessary, your dentist can also prescribe preventative oral care products like fluoride rinse, and recommend a personalized oral care approach, like using water irrigators or making lifestyle changes to keep your teeth in top shape.
- Correct bite issues and crooked teeth. Straight teeth are healthier teeth. When your teeth are crooked or crowded, they may be harder to clean entirely – which may lead to increased bacteria in your mouth and increased tooth decay. Crowded teeth also place more pressure on surrounding teeth than straight teeth do, and this pressure can damage your teeth. A misaligned bite can cause discomfort and make chewing difficult. Getting the proper orthodontic treatment from Dr. Maria Yazji Orthodontics can safely straighten your teeth and fix bite issues.
Insignia Advanced Smile Design braces from the offices of Dr. Yazji are helping patients in Miami and throughout South Florida get customized, comfortable orthodontic treatment. Insignia braces use advanced digital technology to create braces made to fit you, and your treatment plan will be designed to straighten your teeth quickly and gently.
At Dr. Maria Yazji Orthodontics, we help patients of all ages get great, straight smiles while promoting overall dental health. To schedule an appointment to find out if Insignia treatment -- or one of our other services -- is right for you, contact us today. Straighten your teeth and have a healthier smile with Dr. Yazji Orthodontics.